Monday, September 8, 2008

Update on our Friend

A couple folks have asked about the friend who stayed with us for a couple weeks. (See here).

Well, I just got a phone call from her.

While she was living with us, we helped her by giving her plenty of good nights' sleep, food, probably more advice than she could take in, and an atmosphere of peace. She was able to arrange several job interviews. We would help her get ready for these interviews, my husband would drive her to them and wait for her to be finished, and I would help by watching her daughter during the interview.

Well, she just called me, and she got one of the jobs! It's in her major (she has two years towards an accounting degree under her belt), and it pays $13.50 per hour, which is nothing to sneeze at! Now she can work on signing a lease and getting her life back on track. I'm so happy for her. She's coming over to have dinner and do laundry tonight. It gets a little chaotic around here with my two kids and her toddler, so I have permission from my hubby to hop in the car and go to the library with the kids for a while if I feel too closed-in during the evening.

But dinner's already assembled and in the fridge waiting to be baked (my daughter and I had fun making it today together while brother was at school). So the evening looks to be somewhat effortless, except for cleanup afterwards.

Now, I know that it doesn't always turn out this rosy. You can't take every homeless single mom, put her on your couch, pray for a job, and let her loose. But my husband really felt led by God to take her in when we did. And he felt led by God to push her out when we did, too. And it seems to be working out well.

And at no time during her stay did I get overly stressed or more anxious than I had the skills to handle. God is good. He has set me free from anxiety and depression, and he has given me the honor of serving my Liberator alongside my husband. Daily I depend on Him and watch Him work.

No comments: